Wednesday 4 March 2015

World Book Day 2015

World Book Day is an event recognised in over 100 countries around the world, it has been designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading. Up and down the country today many children (and adults) will be dressing up as their favourite book characters or celebrating reading in some way or another.

Here in GO4 Market CafĂ© there is always plenty of opportunity to read and celebrate reading; from our history corner in the tower to the selection of books and magazines available to enjoy over a cup of coffee and cake. So to celebrate World Book Day, we asked some traders and staff to share their favourite book, if you haven’t had a chance to read them maybe today is the day to start!

Laura from 13 Stitches: Dogger by Shirley Hughes- "As a kid with a very favourite bear I understood how Dave felt about his toy dog!"

Phoebe in GO4 Cafe: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- "It has a brilliant depiction of mental illness without detracting from the personality of the protagonist. I like novels that are realistic and relateable without feeling like I'm reading nonfiction."

Janine from Lesley’s Girls Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: "I read it at least 5 times a year. It always cheers me up if I’ve had a bad day. My favourite but is the part when she berates Rochester as an equal in station and gender 'Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart!' "

Pete from Captain Jack’s Locker: "Started with “Janet and John”, then “Wind in the Willows”, progressed to Enid Blyton Famous Five stories but my favourite would be “Wind in the Willows”. Why? I just liked the moral in the story about friendship."
Michelle from Hidden in the Rafters: "Michelle says – I loved a bit of sleuthing so the Nancy Drew books were my other world, but I’ve also chosen Maya Angelou’s “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” because I loved it and the odd Shakespeare tragedy especially after a school visit to Stratford Upon Avon to watch “Romeo and Juliet”

Christina from Happenstance:  "As an English Teacher this is one of the hardest questions I am asked, there are so many books to choose from! I’ve chosen Harry Potter as I instantly loved them when they were first released and lots of my rather reluctant students read them too. Now I love them because they are stories that I share with my children."

Shirley from Moroccan Magic: "These are enchanting tales for children of all ages, taking them on adventures to many different lands. Filled with fairies, goblins and magical creatures."

So bring a book in, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and enjoy a good read in our cafe. What's your favourite book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your comments.